In treating stroke, every minute counts. Knowing the symptoms of a stroke, making note of the time of the first stroke symptoms and getting to the hospital quickly -- within 60 minutes if possible -- can help spare someone from serious long-term disability. Here are the symptoms of a stroke:
* Sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm or leg (especially on one side of the body).
* Sudden confusion, trouble speaking or understanding speech.
* Sudden trouble seeing in one or both eyes.
* Sudden trouble walking, dizziness or loss of balance or coordination.
* Sudden severe headache with no known cause.